Monday, December 18, 2006

Sometimes I Wonder and Othertimes I Just Don't Know

This has been an interesting weekend. Yesterday I watched four hours of a VH-1 Rockumentary on the drug years from the 1950's until the 1990's. I was impressed as I thought that it would show a more liberal viewpoint than it did but it did not. It protrayed virtually all of the drugs mentioned in a very poor light. Marijuana was about the only thing that did not get slammed too hard. It makes me wonder what set of circumstances brings a person to start doing some of the drugs out there today. I can understand that in the '60's people where trying to "find" themselves and expand their minds and they had people such as Timothy Leary telling them that it was ok. That was forty years ago and was a much more niave time but today the dangers of methamphetamines and cocaine and their derivitives have been well documented. Why would someone ever decide to take a substance that will invariably ruin your life, health, and could very likely kill you. These drugs are very cardio-toxic, that means they can kill you. Are these people filled with so much self hate and loothing that they decide to harm themselves in such a manor or does it go back to the idea that some people will do anything for a few moments of feeling good about themselves even when the ultimate result is tragic. I was talking to a member of our local police department in the last few days and he confirmed that methamphetamine abuse in our town is very widespread. These is not the diet pills that people used to pop in the 50's and 60's but the home brewed stuff that is dangerous as hell. I swear, as a person who does'nt go through a small bottle of aspirin every year, I simply don't understand the need to alter your perception of life in this way. I wish someone could explain it. Life is not that bad that it always has to be altered. I know a gentleman with severe health issues who was told by his doctor to not drink any alcohol for a period of two years. His response was "What's the point of living without drinking alcohol." He is now in the process of drinking himself to death but not in my bar as I will not serve him. My wife and I care about him even if he doesn't. Addiction is a terrible illness that affects certain people, whether it be illegal drugs, alcohol, tobacco or even gambling. Not all addictions have to be consumed to harm us. I know a great number of people who are always going to quit smoking, next week, after finals, the first of the year, as soon as they find a new job or whatever. There is always a relaying reason to continue their habit. I too also have my own cross to bear, I am significantly overweight need to do something about immediately. I am not a jolly old fat man, I just play one at my bar. For it can kill me just as easily as any of the other addictions that I have mentioned. As this year comes to an end, lets hope we can all have a healthier and happier new year ahead of us. Peace and Love to everyone.

No comments: